Panel Interview Tips
Interviews can be very intimidating to many people, which lead them to seek panel interview advice and panel interview tips. Group interviews can be even more stressful than one-on-one interviews. However, by using several highly successful panel interview tips, one can make the best of the tense situation and succeed in landing a great job
Basics of Panel Interviews
The main difference between a traditional interview and a panel interview is that a traditional interview consists of one executive and one interviewee. This allows for a more intimate setting so that the interviewee may establish a rapport with the one who is conducting the interview. A job interview panel usually consists of one interviewee and several managers or executives. This allows for the different panel members to consecutively question the candidate in rapid succession.
This method allows the panel members to ask all questions that may concern not only them, individually, but also the other members of the panel as well. Group interview questions save the panel time since all interested parties can conduct the interview at one time instead of requiring separate meeting times for each interviewer.
Another aspect of panel interviews is that is sets the tone for a stressful situation. Since the candidate is outnumbered several-to-one, it allows the interviewers to see how the candidate may handle tense situations.
While it may be a daunting thought at first, there are several panel interview tips that can help a candidate sail through unscathed while enhancing their opportunity to get the position.
Panel Interview Tips
- Research the Company: Interviewers are always going to be more attracted to candidates who prove that they are interested in the actual company. A big panel interview tip is to show that the interviewee sees this as an opportunity to expand their knowledge instead of simply looking for a paycheck.
- Dress Appropriately: One of the first things that the interview panel will notice is the appearance of the candidate. Therefore, a highly important panel interview tip is to dress appropriately and be well groomed. Take a little bit of extra time to ensure that facial hair is well groomed, makeup is applied well, hair is styled nicely, and that oral hygiene has been taken care of. This panel interview tip shows how a candidate represents him/herself is a strong indicator to employers as to how their will represent the company.
- Be Prompt: Punctuality need not be underestimated. A candidate may not only want to arrive on time, but a little bit early, this panel interview tip is highly looked upon. This allows time for introductions to those at the front desk, or a quick tour around the facility. Furthermore, it shows employers that being timely for the interview can mean promptness for work as well.
- Put Your Best Foot Forward: It said that first impressions are determined within the first ten seconds of meeting someone. Therefore, an important panel interview tip concerns introductions. A firm handshake along with a friendly smile and greeting can establish a good first impression with the panel members. It is important to come off as friendly, however it should be genuine instead of forced.
- Answer Questions Thoroughly: The questions that are asked in a panel interview are often in rapid succession and come from each of the panel members. Therefore, tell the people what they want to know, but do not go into the topic at great length. If they wish for elaboration, they will ask. This panel interview tip can show a lot to the panel. A major panel interview tip is to allow the interviewers to have control of the conversation. Another panel interview tip is to research possible panel interview sample questions that may be asked.
- Ask Questions about the Company: Interviewers are impressed when a candidate is already somewhat knowledgeable about a company. However, they may be even more impressed when the candidate asks questions to find out more about the company. A panel interview tip praises asking questions about the firm as a whole are completely acceptable as they demonstrate a candidate’s real interest in the company. Furthermore, asking questions specifically about the position that is being interviewed for is a recommended panel interview tip.
- Stay Calm: One of the main purposes for conducting panel interviews is to determine how well a candidate functions under pressure. Therefore, it is important to remain calm and relaxed throughout the whole process. Do not underestimate this panel interview tip.
These are just a few of many several successful panel interview tips. These panel interview tips can help to ensure that the candidate will succeed during the interview. A panel interview may be stressful, but when prepared, the candidate can implement these panel interview tips to succeed panel interview and land a job.